Thursday, December 6, 2007

diagrams are ok as long as you don't go crazy

Hi everyone, I got this response back from Peter Gordon re: the language disallowing diagrams in CUNY submissions:


On Dec 5, 2007, at 9:41 PM, Peter C. Gordon wrote:

John

I have reviewed the issues with last year's organizers (who used the same instructions, which were inherited from before, which were handed down from ...). The problem is not in the reviewing but in compiling a program that has at least some level of typographical coherence. PDFs make that hard. But, I think that the scientific issues win out and that you should submit PDFs with diagrams if you believe that is the best way to convey the work. Reviewers will be encouraged to use the PDFs rather than the text (reviewers frequently ignore instructions).
Please try to keep the PDFs as uncrowded as possible (no tiny fonts, no extremely clever organization where every space is adjusted to the exact half point distance that makes it work) because your PDF will be converted into text and then reformatted to a common style for printing if it is included in the program. We will try to make the abstracts appear as they should but we will not kill ourselves over it. In putting the program together we will follow the practice stated by one of last year's organizers "I simply made executive/editorial decisions about how much I was willing to deal with any violations of the rules."

Thanks for checking, we look forward to getting your abstract(s).

Peter

The upshot sounds so me like, we can do diagrams just keep in mind some of the organizers and reviewers don't know how to handle them.

No comments: