Friday, December 7, 2007

Grove and Hale Version 2

CUNY-Abstract-PDF
CUNY-Abstract-PS
The PDF version has a bad diagram, the PS version does not.

3 comments:

Chen said...

typo:
in reference 3
chigcao-->chicago

Marisa said...

Hi Kyle,

Nice abstract--you figured out a way to finally get me to understand your work ;).

A few small typos:

The brackets are not around the authors in some of your citations
(1st paragraph Hale, S&M, etc.)

Should the example sentences have periods?

Para2:
ideosyncrasy -> idiosyncrasy

British National Corpus -> the British National Corpus

Para3:
corpus -> the corpus

Last P:
but as a difference -> but is a difference
***
The first sentence is a bit long, but I'm having difficulty finding a way around it (I understand why you wrote it that way). I'll keep trying to think of a solution.

Separate this sentence:
In our account, garden-path reanalysis effort can be modulated not only...difficulties within these parses. Verb-token idiosyncrasies can burden or alleviate reanalysis.

And this one:
We compiled a PCFG...British National Corpus. The corpus accurately...

What is EVCA? I don't know the term (you might not have to define it for the community--I'm just a student ;).

I also had a problem with the reference to examples (the period after them)...It made me think the sentence was final.

You really packed a lot of information in there, though, so great job on that.

John Hale said...

OK this is getting better
- consider my handmade corrections at
http://comp.lin.msu.edu/cuny08/haleXgrove.pdf
- format it so that the text part fits on one page.
- try to reduce the average sentence length
- lose the abbrev "EVCA" just say [Levin 93]
- try to make it clearer how the penultimate paragraph fits into the argument. as I understand it, it is answering the question "Oh yeah, but how did those DISTRIBUTIONS get that way, isn't your claim circular?"
- cite the Stabler paper that actually introduces head movement rules

Edward Stabler (2001) Recognizing head movement.
Revised version appears in Logical Aspects of Computational Linguistics, edited by by De Groote, Morrill, Retore. Springer, 2001, pages 245-260
http://www.linguistics.ucla.edu/people/stabler/Stabler01.pdf

You can get parenthesized examples using gb4e I believe, email me if I can be of assistance.